WELCOME TO KAW VALLEY ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE

Kaw Valley Electric Cooperative was created by the people, for the people, September 29, 1937.
 
In the mid to late 1930's, most rural families lived without the convenience of electricity. Investor owned utilities at this time felt that serving the sparsely populated areas was unprofitable and declined to run power lines out into the country.
 
Area farmers banded together to help themselves achieve the quality of life they desired by forming Kaw Valley Electric Cooperative. With the help of government loans through the Rural Electrification Administration (REA), their efforts helped light the countryside of northeast Kansas.
 
As a cooperative, we are owned and governed by the members we serve. The nine members of the board of trustees are elected by the membership and have a vested interest in the operation of the cooperative.
 
Today, Kaw Valley employs 40 dedicated employees to carry on the spirit of those who sought a better life.  Today we proudly serve approximately 7,000 members in Shawnee, Douglas, Osage, Jackson, Pottawatomie and Wabaunsee counties.

 

 

Together We Save